Thursday, February 03, 2005

Blurbing

Okay, so last week I read the manuscript of my friend J. Carson Black's second novel, which I enjoyed tremendously. I offered to give her a quote - not that a quote from me is likely to boost sales, but you do what you can.

Unfortunately I then hit a blank. I went for two days without finding the right words (and without really thinking about it). Today, needing inspiration, I had lunch at a local Mexican restaurant, notebook in hand. As I had hoped, the chicken tostada, sour cream enchilada, and salty margarita precipitated a burst of creativity!

(Well, mainly it was the margarita.)

Anyway, I got the job done - two entire sentences - which constitutes a pretty good day's work, if I do say so myself.

I won't reproduce the quote here, since the book doesn't come out for a year, but I will report that it contained adjectives like "perilous" and "harrowing," as well as an assortment of exciting nouns and a few obligatory but not terribly invigorating prepositions.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As the lucky author who is on the receiving end of MP's perilous and harrowing blurb, It occurred to me that I should ply him with margaritas more often (although it's possible he's watching his salt intake). But that could set a dangerous precedent. He might end up standing outside other authors' houses with a sign that says, "Will blurb books for food." Not to mention, drink.

--J. Carson Black, fortunate recipient

February 04, 2005 7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lucky Author: I am currently reading your first book based on the recomendation of one MP. It is good PR to include some readers when offering margaritas! :)

And yes...I am enjoying the book!!!

February 15, 2005 7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home